Kuopio University Hospital offers individual and expert psychiatric examination, treatment and rehabilitation. Patients always need a referral from a doctor at the health centre, for example, to be admitted for treatment.
Initially, the reasons for the patient's symptoms and impaired ability to function are clarified, which is then followed by the preparation of a treatment and rehabilitation plan. The content of the treatment and rehabilitation goals are discussed with the patient and, if necessary, with family members.
Most patients are treated in outpatient care, but inpatient examinations and treatment are possible when necessary. The expertise of other specialities is on hand with regard to nutrition and pain management, for example.
Treatment is always planned individually. In many cases, the optimal result is reached by combining different forms of treatment. Various treatment forms include
- Individual therapy
- Couple and family therapy
- Group therapy and rehabilitation in a group, such as discussion and music groups
- Drug therapy
- Treatment negotiations and network meetings with parties in charge of further treatment or with family members
- Examinations, treatment and rehabilitation provided at home
- Occupational therapy
- In difficult special situations, ECT of the brain is available