University Hospital for Professionals
More than 4,500 professionals, in a variety of fields, work to provide safe and high-quality care for patients at Kuopio University Hospital. Kuopio University Hospital District, which administers the hospital, is also in charge of emergency medical services for the entire North Savo region, as well as for primary health care services provided by the Kysteri enterprise.
Care services at Kuopio University Hospital cover all medical specialities. Many common diseases are treated in special units of excellence, such as the Neuro, Cardiac and Cancer Centers. At the national level, diagnostics and the treatment of acute epilepsy and epilepsy surgery have been centralised at Kuopio University Hospital. The hospital also provides specialist treatment for severe burns cases.
As a sign of excellent quality of care, in 1999, Kuopio University Hospital was the first hospital of its size in Europe to be awarded the ISO 9001:2008 quality certificate.
State-of-the-art facilities and equipment to support work
Finland's most modern hospital The Kaari Hospital was opened in May 2015 at the Puijo Hospital area. The new building increases hospital facilities by one third. Patient work is supported by the latest technology, including the only precisely targeted radiation therapy device in the Nordic countries, the CyberKnife.
Work practices and management are continually developing and improving at Kuopio University Hospital. The hospital is a friendly work community – large enough, but at the same time sufficiently close-knit. Most activities are concentrated in the Puijo Hospital area, so that you will soon become acquainted with your colleagues. The development-oriented spirit of a teaching hospital adds its own twist to the work.
Employees have excellent opportunities for further training and studies. One of the greatest strengths of Kuopio University Hospital lies in its focus on competence and competence development.
Treatment negotiations, patient consultations, and meetings make extensive use of the opportunity for video conferencing. The audio-visual unit received a new video laboratory in 2012. AV technology is used mainly in undergraduate and specialist training for physicians, with additional live multi-camera broadcasts relayed from national and international training sessions and seminars.
- One of the main focus areas of Kuopio University Hospital is internationalism
- This works as a two-way process; staff, researchers, and students go abroad to acquire know-how from other countries, while international visitors continually visit Kuopio University Hospital, intent on familiarising themselves with the practices of a top hospital
- Kuopio University Hospital also takes part in arranging international seminars and meetings at the Kuopio Science Park
- The hospital invests in the recruitment of foreign experts, and has an increasing number of foreign patients
- The majority of staff speak English